Managing Procedures and Fees Recorded Class
Use the Procedure List and Fee Schedule to manage and standardize procedures and fees.
From the Administration tab, select Procedures & Fees > Procedure List & Fee Schedule.
The Procedure List and Fee Schedule is displayed listing all the procedures for the selected schedule, with the Office Code and Description for each, CDT Code and Nomenclature, Treatment Type and anatomy requirement, as well as the Status, Recare status, Anatomy type (T/S/Q), Total Number of Minutes, and the Fees.
- Use the for drop-down list to select the schedule to view. Note: Codes are only created/updated for the specified/selected schedule. If you are adding or updating a code, you must do it for each schedule to which it applies.
- Click the column heads to sort by column.
- Use the Search field to find a procedure.
- Filter the list by Treatment Types.
Note: Practices using the Medical Billing feature will also see columns for CPT Code and CPT Description, as well as an option to enter a CPT Code for a procedure. For more information, see How to Use CPT® Codes for Medical Billing.
Note: Insurance payers can differ on whether an anatomy definition is required for certain procedure codes. The Treatment Type field determines whether anatomy (tooth number, arch, quad, surface) is required when posting that code. If anatomy is required, users are prompted to enter it when posting the procedure code.
- Default values are based on the ADA recommendation for each code.
- To edit a code's Anatomy Type (i.e., from None to Tooth), select a different Treatment Type.
- The Use Suggested Type option is displayed for any code that has been edited, to return to the default.
- You can create multiple versions of a code with different Treatment Type settings for different Insurance payers. See the Creating a New Procedure section below.
You can update the details of an existing procedure code, or batch edit multiple procedures.
To update details of a single procedure:
- Select Administration >Procedures & Fees > Procedure List & Fee Schedule. The procedure codes and fees are displayed.
Note: If you have more than one fee schedule, use the for drop-down list on the top left to select the one you want to access.
- Use the filters and search field to locate the code to update.
- Click on the Office Code number in the first column. The Update Procedure window is displayed with editable fields active.
- Enter your changes and click Update.
To update multiple procedures (batch edit), select the checkboxes for each and click Edit Selected Procedures.
- You can change a particular property for all the selected procedures: Status, Resets Recare, Minutes, Fees.
- You can update properties individually in the list, or click Adjust All to update them all at once.
- When you have finished, click Save Changes.
Note: If you want to discontinue using a procedure, change the Status to Inactive. Procedures cannot be deleted once used.
Creating a New Procedure
To create a new procedure:
- Under Actions, select Create New Procedure. The Create Procedure window is displayed.
Enter a unique Office code and Office Description for the new procedure.
- If appropriate, select a CDT code from the list.
Note: CDT codes are not required to create a new procedure code, but procedures must be associated with a CDT code in order to bill insurance. When a CDT code is selected, the Treatment Type is set automatically.
- If the Treatment Type is not set automatically, use the list to select it.
Note: The Treatment Type determines whether an anatomy definition (tooth number, arch, quad, surface) is required when using the procedure code. If anatomy is required, users are prompted to enter the corresponding anatomy when posting the procedure code.
- For Is Hygiene, select Yes or No.
- For Resets Recare, select Yes or No.
Note: When set to Yes, the procedure can be selected as a default procedure for resetting recare when creating recare appointments. When completed/posted, it resets the patient's last/next recare dates automatically. When included in a group procedure, the Resets Recare status defaults to Yes.
- Enter a standard number of minutes for the procedure, if applicable.
- Set the fee standard fee for the procedure.
- Click Create.
For information on creating Group Procedures, see How to Create or Edit Group Procedures.