Posting Charges, Payments, and Adjustments Recorded Class
You can post charges and payments to a patient’s account directly from the patient ledger. To open a patient’s ledger, navigate to the Patient tab, and then select Financials > Ledger.
Post Charges from the Ledger
To post a charge:
- Under Actions, select New Charge. The Post New Charges window is displayed.
Note: If unposted procedures exist from completed work, you are prompted to address them before posting new charges.
Click Review Existing to view and post those charges, or click Post New to continue, and address the unposted procedures later.
- In the Search Procedures field, begin typing the code or description and select the correct procedure. The charge is added.
Note: You can use the list on the right to search from a different list of procedures.
- Verify and/or correct the indicated Location, Provider, and Amount.
-- Bill Ins? is selected automatically when the patient has insurance, and a new claim is created when charges are posted. If not selected, you can access them and create the claim later from Actions > Create New Claim, or Location > To Do > Unbilled Procedures.
--The Service Date defaults to today, or to the date of service for previously completed work. You can edit the date when posting a new charge for a prior date, but not for previously completed work.
--The Location and Provider fields are populated automatically with the patient's preferences, when defined in the Patient Record. You can edit the provider if necessary, but the location cannot be changed for previously completed work.
--The Amount field is populated automatically from the Procedure List and Fee Schedule. If you enter a different amount, you are prompted to verify the standard office fee.
- When required, enter the Tooth/Quad and Surface for the procedure.
- Continue adding procedures as needed.
Note: You can use the Copy icon to add the same procedure again, and then change the anatomy.
- If this procedure is covered by the Patient’s Insurance Plan, the Insurance to Bill field is automatically populated. You can use this field to select a different policy.
- Click Post Charges & Bill Ins. The charges are added to the Ledger and a claim is created if applicable.
Post Payments from the Ledger
Insurance payments are deducted from the Insurance Due amount, and patient payments reduce the Patient Due amount.
To post a payment:
- Under Actions, click New Payment. The Post New Payment window is displayed with the patient's balance.
- If the payment is a split payment intended to cover charges for multiple patients, such as family members who are connected, use the Search field to select one or more connected patients. For more information, see How to Post a Split Payment.
- In the Amount Paid field, enter the payment amount.
- Verify or correct the Location and Date fields.
- Select a Payment Type from the list. If you select Insurance - Check, Insurance-Credit Card, or Insurance-EFT, you are prompted to select a claim, and the Claim Number is automatically added to the transaction details upon posting.
- Use the Reference and Comments fields as needed for additional information.
- Verify that the Payment Amount is correct.
- Click Post Payment. The credit is added to the patient ledger.
Important: When you are signed up to use ePayments Secure for Sensei Cloud, the posting process is different. For more information, see ePayments Overview, and the ePayments Secure for Sensei Cloud Getting Started Guide in the Carestream Dental Institute.
For more information on tasks you can perform from the patient ledger, see How to Work with the Patient Ledger.
Please sign in to leave a comment.