Note: This feature is for US customers only.
When a claim is denied with an Explanation of Benefits (EOB) payment of $0 toward the claim, use the New Payment function to enter the $0 amount and close the claim. This creates an entry on the Ledger indicating that the claim has been closed with a $0 payment. The process then prompts you to take next steps to bill the patient's secondary insurance or post a write-off.
To enter a $0 payment for a claim:
- From the Patient Ledger, select New Payment. The Post New Payment window is displayed.
- In the Amount Paid field, enter $0.00.
- For the Payment Type, enter Insurance (Check, Credit Card, or EFT). The Claim Number field is displayed.
- Use the Claim Number field to search for and select the associated claim.
- Use the Comment field to enter the reason the payment amount is $0 (i.e., annual benefit limit reached, allowed frequency exceeded, etc.).
- Click Post Payment. You are prompted with a message to Perform Next Steps.
- From this prompt, you can:
- Select Bill Next Insurance if the patient has an additional policy in effect to initiate the steps to bill that policy for unpaid procedures.
- Select Post Write-Off. The Adjust Balance window is displayed, where you can write off all or part of the unpaid claim amount.
- Select Handle Later. The line item is added to the Ledger indicating that the claim has been closed and the payment amount is $0. The patient's balance is not affected.