The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the way doctors deliver care to many patients. You are likely using technology to treat patients in your practice. Per the ADA guidance, you can use your enabled computing and mobile devices to communicate with patients by audio and/or video. These limited-scope interactions can include problem-focused evaluations, advice, and performing general triage of problems that may require in-office appointments or procedures.
For more information on Carestream Dental's Teledentistry solution, see How to Provide Teledentistry Appointments Using Microsoft Teams.
Sensei Cloud helps facilitate teledentistry by providing remote access to your patient clinical records and the ability to file electronic claims.
When claiming for remotely-delivered care, it is suggested that you use the following CDT codes:
● D0190 or D0999 for audio-based consultations.
● D0140 or D0170 or D0171 for audio- and video-based problem-focused evaluations.
While reimbursement rules vary among payers, it is recommended that you also file D9995 or D9996 in addition to the actual services delivered to the patient.
When you create appointments as Teledentristy appointments or add these codes to the list of procedures being posted, they are automatically included on the generated claim. The inclusion of one of these codes ensures that the Place of Treatment (item #38) is correctly assigned as Telehealth (code 02).
To document Teledentistry care and file a claim:
- Create a new appointment for the patient.
- Add the relevant consultation or evaluation code to the appointment; i.e., D0190, D0140, D0170.
- Add the relevant Teledentistry code to the appointment: D9995 for real-time synchronous or D9996 for asynchronous communication.
- Seat the appointment and open the patient’s Hard Tissue Chart.
- From the Waiting Queue, select the Patient, or
- From the Schedule Day/View, select the Appointment Tile, then click Seat, and Clinical.
- Update the Hard Tissue Chart and add/update the clinical notes as needed.
- In the side panel, click Today's Appointment, and then click Complete Appointment.
Note: You can adjust the procedures for the appointment at this time.
- From the Checkout Queue, select the patient, and click Post Charges.
- Make any adjustments to the procedures and fees being posted.
- The procedures should be automatically checked to include in the claim.
- Click Post Charges & Bill Ins to post the charges to the Patient Ledger and create the
- Click Complete Check-Out to close out the appointment.
For more information on the ADA Guidance, see:
- The ADA Center for Professional Success
- The ADA COVID-19 Coding and Billing Interim Guidance for Virtual Visits
For more information, see Sensei Cloud Teledentistry FAQ.
Please sign in to leave a comment.