Creating New Data Export Templates Recorded Class
If you have correspondence templates that you use regularly, or if you want to customize new templates, you can use Data Export templates to merge patient data from Sensei Cloud into your external documents.
Note: This process requires the full application version of the Microsoft Word (or other) software that uses merge fields, and not the web-based (browser) version.
When Data Export templates are enabled, you can:
- Export data via a .CSV (spreadsheet) file from Sensei Cloud to third party applications.
- Create and manage templates for multiple correspondence categories.
- Select external templates when generating correspondence from any of the usual locations within Sensei Cloud (Patient tab, Dashboard > Patient List, etc.).
- Access exported .CSV files (Data Exports) from the archived Bulk Correspondence list (Location > Archives > Correspondence).
Enabling Data Export Templates
To enable Data Export Templates for your practice:
- Select Administration > Templates > Data Export Templates.
- In the panel on the left, select the option to enable. A message is displayed.
- Click Enable.
Creating Data Export Templates in Sensei Cloud
The Data Export templates you create in Sensei Cloud export specified data merge fields to your external correspondence templates. Whenever you select Use External Templates, a .CSV file is automatically generated and downloaded, containing the merge fields to import into an external document.
TIP: Some users find it helpful to view existing external correspondence templates
first, and make a list of which merge fields they would like to import from Sensei Cloud.
To create Data Export templates:
- Select Administration > Templates > Data Export Templates. The Data Export Templates screen is displayed, listing any existing templates in the panel on the left.
Note: You can select and edit existing templates from this screen.
- Under Actions, select Create New Template. The entry fields become active.
- For Template Name, enter a name that corresponds in some way to the external template you want to populate.
- Select a Template Category.
- Under Exported Data (Merge Fields), use the search feature to find and select the merge fields you want to export for this template. The selected fields are displayed in the list.
Note: You can click and drag to reorder the merge fields, or use the red X to delete them from the list of fields for this template.
Note: For example, an oral surgery office may want to add a Completed Procedures, Completed Procedures Description, or Completed Procedures and Completed Procedures Description merge field to a data export template, rather than manually entering this information. When procedures are posted to a patient's account, the procedure data from the most recent service date is automatically applied to the Completed Procedures merge fields within the templates.
- Click Save Template. The template is:
- Added to the list in the left panel.
- Available for selection whenever you choose Use External Templates.
Generating Customized Correspondence (External Templates)
When the templates are set up, you can select Use External Templates from wherever the Send Correspondence option is available.
STEP ONE: Export the Data.
To export the data:
- Select Send Correspondence. The options are displayed.
- Select Use External Templates. You are prompted to select a Data Export Template.
- Select the template you want to export. A preview list displays the included merge fields.
- Click Proceed. A data export (.CSV) file is generated. A message is displayed as the process occurs, and another when it is complete.
Note: If you are generating a large list, the process may take a few minutes. You can continue working in the program while this occurs.
After a .CSV file is generated (individual or bulk), it is added to the archived Bulk Correspondence for the location (Location > Archives > Correspondence), with the Type = Data Export. These can be selected and downloaded as needed.
STEP TWO: Import the Data into Your Correspondence.
To generate customized correspondence in an External template:
- Export the .CSV file from Sensei Cloud per STEP ONE.
Note: If you have opened the downloaded .CSV file, close it before opening your Microsoft Word document.
- Open the Microsoft Word application on your local client.
- Select File > Open, and then navigate to your existing Microsoft Word-based correspondence template, or create a new one.
Note: If your Word-based template already contains merge field placeholders (e.g., from use with your previous practice management software), document what fields are used, and then remove them so they can be replaced with the new merge fields from Sensei Cloud.
- Select Mailings > Select Recipients > Use an Existing List. You are prompted to select a file.
- Navigate to your default Downloads folder, select the .CSV file, and click Open. The data fields in that file are linked to the document and available for insertion.
- Place your cursor in the document where you want to import a data field and click Insert Merge Fields, and then select a field from the list.
- Use this list of fields to continue selecting/inserting merge fields into the document.
- After you finish, click Preview Results. This displays a version of the document with the merged data from Sensei Cloud for each included letter (e.g., one per patient or addressee included in the exported .CSV file).
Note: Click Preview Results again to continue to adjust your correspondence template as needed. This enables you to edit the template’s base content, fix any formatting, add or remove merge fields, and so forth.
- When you have finished editing the document, select Mailings > Finish & Merge > Print Documents. Your customized documents are generated.
Note: You can use the Edit Individual Documents option to make one-off adjustments to specific letters within a batch; however, it is suggested that you only do this when working with a single letter or small batch of bulk correspondence, as management of large batches is processing intensive, leading to system performance issues.
- Finally, save your updated template to maintain the formatting and merge field placement for future use.
STEP THREE: Reuse External Templates.
Keep in mind the following information when reusing your external templates:
- The .CSV file (from Sensei Cloud) you used is now linked as the data source to your correspondence template. As such, when you next use this Microsoft Word template to generate a new batch of letters, you will need to link it to the new .CSV file exported from Sensei Cloud.
- If the currently-linked file remains intact from its original location on your client, repeat the process: open your correspondence template in Microsoft Word, click Mailings > Select Recipients > Use an Existing List… and then select the new .CSV file that contains the patients (or addressees) for which you want to generate correspondence.
- As long as your Data Export template in Sensei Cloud (used to generate the .CSV file) has not changed, the previous merge fields inserted into your correspondence template will continue to work without need for adjustment.
Note: It is suggested that you create a Data Export template in Sensei Cloud for each unique bulk correspondence template (in Microsoft Word) that you use to communicate with or about your patients.
- If the currently-linked .CSV file has been moved, renamed, or deleted since it was used to generate correspondence, then you will likely receive an error when trying to open your Microsoft Word template.
To resolve this, click Find Data Source and then select the new .CSV file that was exported from Sensei Cloud. This will automatically link the file to your correspondence template and enable the data to be merged into the template contents.